Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday - Christmas

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. With Christmas almost here this week's theme is...

Top Ten Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Leaving Under My Tree

This is actually a tough one for me since I already own way too many books and work in a library. So this a list of books I haven't gotten around to reading yet for whatever reason or that I can get a hold of because they haven't been released yet.

1. Jackaby - by William Ritter
This book was recommended to me months ago and the description of this book as “Doctor Who meets Sherlock” has me totally convinced I will love it. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet because 1. it's the start of an unfinished series and 2. it still has a long hold list at my library.







2. A Study in Charlotte - by Brittany Cavallaro
This is one of the book's I have my eye on that hasn't been released yet. After reading Lock & Mori I specifically went looking for more Sherlock inspired novels, and came across A Study in Charlotte. The synopsis on Goodreads sounding really promising and I was totally ready to start this book, when I noticed that it won't be published until March.






3. All the Bright Places - by Jennifer Niven
I've had my eye on this book for several months at least. I think it's really important to have books dealing with mental health issues, especially for teens, and I've heard nothing but good things from my friends who have read this. I've even wanted to start this book several times, but the hold list is still extremely long and anytime I do get the urge to read this, I was to start it immediately. Patience, especially when books are concerned, is not my strong point.




4. Asking For It - by Louise O'Neill
I'm pretty sure I heard about this from a friend's Facebook post, but I'm not 100% sure. In any case, I was totally sold after learning that this is feminist fiction for teens! Then I went to look for it at the library only to found that none of the libraries in the whole state of Colorado have this book. Actually, the closest library that owns a copy is in Illinois as far as I can tell.






5. Broderies - by Marjane Satrapi
This is a book that I actually had my hands on for a few weeks. After reading Persepolis I was looking into what else Satrapi had written. I put in a request for the original, French version of this book since I'm always trying to improve my French skills. Amazingly my library actually did get a copy for me, but I didn't finish it in time and since it was borrowed through an inter-library loan there was no option to renew. Sometime when I'm not so busy I'll probably request this again and try to actually finish the whole thing.



6. Six of Crows - by Leigh Bardugo
Yet another book with a long hold list at my library... I've had my eye on this book since I first saw the cover, but it's also the first book of an unfinished series. Since I'm already waiting on so many sequels I'm not sure I want to endure the lengthy hold list and then have to wait for a sequel on top of it.







7. Uprooted - by Naomi Novik
It's no secret that I'm completely obsessed with Novik's Temeraire series, so I was excited to see that she has a young adult book out. This also has a long hold list so, for now, I'm contenting myself by continuing to work through Temeraire.
8. And I Darken - by Kiersten White
I'm a big fan of all these YA retellings of classic stories, so I'm all for a reimagining of Dracula's history. To make this book even more intriguing, the author tells the story not of Vlad the Impaler, but of Lada the Impaler - a female version of the tyrant who would come to be known as Dracula. Sadly this book won't be published until summer 2106, so I would definitelly be excited if I could get hold of a copy earlier.





9. Temeraire - by Naomi Novik
I don't really need to own a copy of these books since I already have way too many. On top of that, I haven't even been reading physical copies, I've been borrowing the digital audiobooks from my library and I love them. But these British covers are so beautiful I'd be happy to own a copy just for the artwork.







10. The Raven King - by Maggie Stiefvater
I've mentioned this book previously on my blog, so it should come as no surprise that I'm bringing it up again. I've been waiting anxiously for this conclusion to The Raven Cycle and I would pretty much kill for a copy at this point, so it would be an absolute miracle if Santa could leave a copy by the tree for me.

2 comments:

  1. Great list! Hope you have a good Christmas.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/12/22/top-ten-tuesday-36/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by the blog. I definitely enjoyed your post as well - lots of books that are new to me!

      Delete