Monday, June 25, 2012

Percy Jackson and the Olympians

So I haven't updated in awhile, but I recently finished reading the last book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series and I watched the movie The Lightning Thief last week.  The books are definitely for kids, and I didn't think they were amazing or the best thing ever, but they were still enjoyable and kept me interested enough to read all five books.

The books focus on Percy Jackson, a demigod and son of Poseidon, who has all sorts of various adventures and quests and saves the world pretty much every summer.  Some of the adventures are a little ridiculous and it's amazing Percy manages to survive, but it's fantasy so it works out (besides, you can't kill off the title character).  And despite the ridiculousness (and predictability) of Percy's adventures, they're still exciting and fun to read about. Kind of like in Harry Potter - you know Harry's going to have a ridiculous adventure, do something nobody else could do, and somehow pull through and save the world - but you keep reading anyways.  Percy also has friends and acquaintances from his demigod summer camp that help, and I did like how these people actually play important parts instead of only functioning as supporting characters.

The most obnoxious thing about this series, for me anyways, is how dense some of the characters are.  Even though the books are totally predictable, the characters take eons to figure out anything.  For example: At the start of the series Percy finds out he's the son of a Greek god, but he doesn't know which Greek god is his father.  All we know is that his mom met his father by the sea and Percy. still goes there every summer with his mom.  Once Percy gets to the demigod summer camp he realizes he is able to control water and being in water heals him, but of course nobody (not even the camp leaders) has the slightest idea who Percy's dad could be until.... Poseidon (Gasp! I know you weren't expecting that!) sends a sign claiming Percy as his son. Percy also seems to know less about Greek mythology than anyone I've ever met, but I figure that at least can help introduce kids to the various aspects of the mythology.

The movie on the other hand... was just terrible. Almost unwatchable, I would say.  The movie basically takes a few exciting scenes from the book (and still totally changes those) and mixes them with more sex appeal, fast cars, and stupid humour that weren't anywhere in the book.  I don't have much more to say about the movie other than it was a waste of time and I was pretty disappointed. I mean, I almost always like books better than their movie counterparts, but this movie was terrible all on it's own and only vaguely followed the general idea of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment